Return to Toolbox Main.
View Comments and Ratings
Addressing climate change is a key component of creating more sustainable communities, and smart growth offers practical guidelines for communities looking to develop sustainably: it addresses new growth and development in a way that reduces their impact on the environment and their contributions to global climate change while supporting economic development and social equity–related goals.
This report outlines nine strategies for successfully applying smart growth principles to climate concerns on the local and regional levels. The nine strategies are:
• Create more sustainable and resilient communities;
• Green the local economy;
• Engage the community in the climate change plan¬ning process;
• Approach climate change planning on a regional level;
• Address transportation through transit-oriented development and complete streets;
• Promote density through infill development and brownfield redevelopment;
• Adopt green building policies;
• Preserve and create green space; and
• Plan for climate adaptation.
Climate Change Toolkit
By Linda Tindall
Rating March 2014
By Kathleen Karle
Great overview of how local governments can integrate climate action planning into their work. Good case studies from around the country. Intended for cities and counties who are starting the process - may be too basic for those who have already done a significant amount of work.